Sunday, July 17, 2011

Projects

Whew.  It's been a bit of a roller coaster around here, what with a packed work schedule and too many home reno projects.  Still, it's all good!  I seem to get more accomplished when I have too much on my plate (well, except for blogging!).  I've been keeping up on what's going on in blogland, and I thought it was about time I let you know what I've been up to.

Well, I've made a host of jersey shells using Kwik Sew 3740.  These are great layering pieces, and I've made up versions in white, turquoise, hot pink, navy, and several different ITY prints.  My favorite is a white jersey/stretch lace combo.  I've also made navy linen, brown linen, black stretch sateen, Wedgwood blue linen, and olive twill pants.  I've worn all of these a lot--except for the olive twill.  The fabric is just too stiff for my taste.  I don't have any pix of these at the moment, but I might once my partner in crime returns from an extended visit to the east coast!

But I do have some photos.  Here's the "Backyard BBQ Dress" (Vogue 8383--oop)  (which, ahem, I still haven't finished).  All I need to do is add buttons and buttonholes.  I'm vacillating between lime green buttons, orange ones, or fabric covered buttons.  Except for a few days of broiling weather, it's been too cool around here for a bbq, so I guess I haven't felt pressed to finish the dress.  (In fact, today while sewing, I had to close the windows and put on some socks--crazy for the middle of July!)  Here's what it looks like thus far.

I've also sewn Butterick 5566, view C, in red mystery fabric--just something from my stash.  I suspect it is rayon/cotton.  Unfortunately, in the photos, the yoke detail is impossible to see.  The triptych shows the skirt at the almost-finished stage; I have since hemmed it.   

Please pardon the iPhone photo
And this is what I've been working on today:  the oft-reviewed McCall's 5974!  The fabric is from a recent Fabric Mart purchase.  It is a very soft poly/lycra ITY print in tomato and rose in a "...pattern of interweaving acanthus leaves with japanese parasol like motif."  I made a 14 and added two inches to the skirt length.  With all the fitting guidelines this pattern has, it is kind of odd that there are no lengthening/shortening lines!  Next time, I'll probably lengthen the midriff section by at least an inch.  I used binding on the neckline instead of turning it under and stabilized the shoulders with scraps of interfacing.  Hopefully, this will be hemmed tonight if my coverstitch machine decides to cooperate!

No "Shoe Love" tonight as I've managed to let the battery in my camera die.  And I have to remember where I put the charger before I can remedy the situation.  Once I find that pesky thing, I'll be taking photos like a madwoman!

Until later, happy sewing!

~ Peggy

6 comments:

  1. Everything you've made looks great! Welcome back to blogging. :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Love your projects! The fabric for both dresses is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your projects look great! The backyard BBQ dress is very MadMen, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the red dress!! Man, I wish someone would make that for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three awesome pieces. Your BBQ dress will be so cute this summer, and I love how sophisticated the red dress looks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First I am gaga over the tomato/rose dress.. Definitely my style of dress and secondly I was on fabricmart's site about a month ago and saw that fabic, but wasn't sure how it would look sewn up... Well pinch me... It looks great.

    Another lovely skirt and enjoy a bandless waist skirt.

    ReplyDelete