Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tunic (Dress?) & Leggings


Hi everyone!

Yesterday, when I was dithering around about what to make, I decided I wanted to tackle this rayon/lycra "Trendy" knit from Fabric Mart.  The colors are delicious and the fabric is super soft; however, as I learned, it grows and grows and grows some more.  

Bound Neckline
I chose to make Vogue 8731 in the longest version but with 3/4 length sleeves.  It was a quick and easy sew--except for the part where the fabric decided to get swallowed into the bobbin case as I sewed the horizontal tucks. (But that was hardly the pattern's fault!)  I stabilized the shoulders with strips of interfacing, and I bound the neck with self fabric rather than the recommended bias tape.  I used Steam-a-Seam and coverstitched the sleeve hems, but I did a rolled hem for the tunic since I realized the tunic was so long, it could be worn as a dress if I didn't take up too much in the hem.


To go with the tunic, I made leggings (McCalls 6173) in white double knit from Joann's.  These might be the fastest thing I've ever made.  No side seams, just one big piece for each side and a casing for the elastic.  I coverstitched the hems--and I was done!  I should've checked the time, but I'll bet it was an hour from cutting to hemming.  I made them in a size larger than I normally would because I was afraid they'd be too tight and show every freckle.  To my surprise, they're loose, so next time, I'll go down a size.  

This is a very comfy outfit--perfect for a mild day!
Happy sewing  ~ Peggy







5 comments:

  1. I like it both ways- the leggings look good with it! I love the blue shoes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd totally wear that as a dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very nice! Looks good both ways - so I guess that makes it 2 outfits for the price one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty ...pretty print. Either way you wear it.. It looks great and like the coordinating sandals.

    ReplyDelete