Wednesday, February 1, 2012

McCall’s 3830 – A Skirt from Home Dec Fabric


I love the colors and pattern of this cheerful home dec fabric.  I picked it up last summer from Joann’s when I was debating color schemes for my living room.   Although I decided not to use this fabric in my decor, I thought the one-yard piece might be just enough to eke out a skirt.  

McCall’s 3830 – Quick and Easy – Misses Skirts in 5 lengths is, as advertised, quick and easy.  Two darts in front, two darts in back, faced waist, and back zipper.  I barely had enough fabric for view D which is a little too short for my comfort zone—I suspect my darling daughter might like it, though!
The skirt is underlined in poly/cotton broadcloth; it really helps to give the fabric more body, and I hope it will help cut down on wrinkles.  The installation of the invisible zipper hit a few snags—all my fault, I was tired and didn’t pay enough attention—so my seam ripper saw some action.   
  
All in all, I’m pleased with the skirt.  I think it’ll look great with a crisp white top or an apple green sweater.   This is the first time I’ve used a home deco fabric for apparel, and I’m interested to see how well it will wear. 
How about you--have you made clothing from this kind of fabric?  If so, what do you think?
Happy sewing! ~ Peggy

9 comments:

  1. I love the colours too and it made a lovely skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the skirt! I made my first skirt out of home dec fabric in October. I was inspired to do this after going to a trunk show for Sevier Skirts which showed dozens of skirts in home dec fabric. I was stunned! You may want to take a look at their website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute skirt, I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great fabric! I've made a few skirts for a friend out of home dec fabric: hers are a fuller style. Sometimes, she wears them when hiking (usually over tights). I've used a few different fabrics, but the two made from home dec fabric are her favorites because they don't flip up on a windy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful skirt! I've used home dec fabrics for clothing quite a few times - jackets mostly. Years ago I read that Alice and Olivia started their line with jeans made from home dec fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peggy - I love the colors in the print. It's a great skirt. And yes, I'm constantly looking in the home dec section for fabric to use on garments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a pretty skirt... Love the various soft colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great fabric - great skirt. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Love Love the fabric and colors!! Where I live we were a bit fabric-challenged until just getting a Joanns...happy day!! But we have a Calico Corners..I have been making skirts for some time...lots of skirts...from their fabric. First of all..60" wide so in under a yd you have a skirt for less than $20 if you use pricy fabric! And most of mine where under $10. What a deal! However...I have found cold washing and hanging out to dry over a year does put some wear on the skirt. I always wash and dry my fabric before sewing. Home Dec does not hold up to that kind of wash. But I live in S. Florida so I wear skirts instead of shorts/pants therefore putting my skirts to alot of wear and tear. My theory...if at under $10 bucks a skirt I don't mind letting them go after a year of wear.

    ReplyDelete