Sunday, February 26, 2012

Thank you, "Goodbye Valentino" - and a peek of a new outfit

Imagine my surprise when I got home late last night to see that Sarah of Goodbye Valentino had nominated me for a Versatile Blogger award!  Thank you, Sarah!  I started following Goodbye Valentino just a few months ago after I found her blog while doing an internet search for Vogue 8669.  Well, once I got there, I had to read every post!  Sarah has beautiful taste in clothing, and each piece looks like it was made professionally.  I also love the premise of her blog:  that she is eschewing clothing purchases for a year and is making all her own clothes instead.  (It kind of reminds me of Julia and Julia.)  I hope she continues to make (and blog about) her own clothes when the year is complete.

To accept the Versatile Blogger award, one must:

1. Add the award to your blog
2. Thank the blogger who gave it to you
3. Mention 7 random things about yourself
4. List the rules
5. Give the award to 15 bloggers
6. Inform each of those 15 bloggers by leaving a comment on their blog


7 Random Things About Me
1.    My favorite drink is iced water; however, my love for Diet Coke is bordering on addiction.

      2.  Not only did I learn to sew in 4-H, I also raised sheep.
With Elf at the San Diego County Fair in Del Mar
3.     I love museums, reading, going for walks, and daydreaming—usually not at the same time.

4.     I have written a book—a murder mystery—which is currently unpublished.  It's called In the Pink and features a Brazilian Salmon Pink Birdeater Tarantula.  Oh dear.
I do not like spiders
5.     I don’t believe I had any store-bought dresses until I was in junior high.  My mother, in her mid-80s, is still an amazing seamstress.  


6.     I used to show horses – hunt seat and saddle seat.  (That’s me, in front, waiting for my next (show) class, riding Charlie My Boy.) 
I think this was in Rancho Santa Fe (San Diego County)

7.     And, most importantly, I am blessed to be the mother of one wonderful young woman.  We have always had a harmonious relationship.  She has also always had a vast mom-made wardrobe.  Here are three examples:
a.     In a 4th of July outfit I made for her (age 5)
b.     In a mommy-made Christmas dress with her late daddy (age 9 – her, not him!)

c.      In a mom/daughter-made recreation of Bjork’s swan dress for a Halloween party (she’s wearing a wig)

Well!  I'm sure that's more about me than you ever wanted to know!

 I'd like to share this award with the following bloggers (in random order):

Diary of a Sewing Fanatic - I doubt there's an internet-savvy sewist alive who hasn't seen Carolyn's great blog.  She sees inspiration everywhere and turns those inspirations into amazing, one-of-a-kind outfits.  She generously shares her thought processes and techniques with her readers.

Dressing Mrs. Exeter - Fabulous and funny blog from England (and sometimes from her "chateau" in France)!  "Mrs. Exeter" sews, knits, cooks, goes to the races, and--you name it.

Sew Here We Go Again - Karin makes beautiful clothes for herself and her daughters.  Occasionally, she throws in a great recipe, too!

Communing with Fabric - Talk about inventive!  I think Shams can make anything.  She is the reason I've bought felting supplies and a bunch of Marcy Tilton patterns!

Sharon Sews - I first found her blog when I did a search for John Kloss patterns (1970s - Butterick).  Sharon makes a lot of amazing things - and - she is a Zumba instructor!

Irene's Studio - Irene makes oodles of gorgeously tailored clothes, plus some pretty great purses!


Lucky Sew and Sew - Jane makes great stuff and often shares book suggestions and more.  Check out her fantastic array of Pamela's Patterns magic pencil skirts! 


Kadiddlehopper - Katie sews for her whole family.  Check out the fabulous faux fur jacket she just posted.  I don't know how she does it all with three little ones!

Une femme d'un certain age -  Style choices, travel (Paris!), books, and more -- "Une Femme" writes about living a stylish, adventurous, balanced, delicious life after 50.  Elle est magnifique!

Sew Passionista by Diana - I always love to see what Diana has created. She is a master of marrying the right fabric with the right pattern.  Her blog is also chock-full of helpful tutorials.

A Fool for Fabric - Margy makes beautiful clothes with an edge--some from fabrics she's picked up on her exotic travels, but all of them eye-catching.  Check out her recent Kwik Sew jacket in a fantabulous black/white geometric from EOS.

Lindsey's Volleyblog  - Lindsey is a blogging friend--well, actually, she's my daughter!  She blogs about some of her obsessions:  creative writing, bulldogs, and volleyball. 

The Cheese Press - Charlie is chronicling his European adventures as a future cheese-maker with his twin brother.  For something a little different, check out his blog! 


*****

Hmmm.  This post is much longer than I realized.  So, here's just a quick peek at what I'm working on.  I'll write more about it later:

  Happy sewing! ~ Peggy

10 comments:

  1. Thanks Peggy for the very kind words that you wrote about my blog and my sewing. It is truly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really have been an inspiration to me! Plus, I am always amazed by how many pieces you produce. I know it can't be easy with a demanding job and a commute; all I want to do when I get home is veg. Like you, I usually sew on the weekends. Anyways, I meant to tell you how much I love the Whitney dress--absolutely gorgeous, and I love it with the cardy and purse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your outfit looks like it will be lovely - great fabric. I too love horses - although never owned or showed one and I would say my dislike of spiders is full on arachnophobia - even seeing your pic made me sick YUK.... Loved your Bjork!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks BeaJay! If I saw that spider in real life (not in a terrarium), I'd probably scream and then collapse! Re the Bjork dress, it was funny that almost every female at the party knew exactly who my daughter was supposed to be, but practically none of the guys did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Peggy! I lost touch with you after having to make a new blog. Some how I didn't get you back on my blog roll, but that is solved now:-) I have had fun going through all the posts I missed. I really like your peach, tie front blouse. Very "on trend!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peggy, Thanks for the endorsement of my blog! Sewing blogs have been such a great source of support and inspiration to me over the past six months! I think it's the only way I could get through my year of no clothes shopping!
    Thanks also for introducing me to new links - how fun! I understand how time consurming accepting the award was for you :) Let's get back to sewing!! Many thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just discovered your blog ; it's great ! I am totally unable to sew and will be coming to you for inspiration !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much! I have been enjoying your sewing journey as well. I have to get better about commenting - Google Reader and my iPhone are making me lazy. I love the random facts about you. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peggy, you are so sweet to put me in a group with all of you talented seamstresses. I have no idea about how to "accept" this award on my own blog but will have to challenge my computer skills to come up with some way. In the meantime, I love catching up with everyone's sewing projects and especially enjoy the new links to blogs that I can now add to my reading list as well. Your Jalie top is so wonderful. Makes me think I need to move it further ahead on my sewing queue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peggy, This was such a fun post. I'm pretty sure if I spent any time with you face-to-face we'd be laughing so hard our sides would hurt. And then I'd have trouble teaching Zumba because you wouldn't believe how much those side muscles get used, LOL. Thanks for the nomination!

    ReplyDelete