Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Vogue 8649

This is Vogue 8649.  Coming on the heels of the scarf-collar top, I forgot how much ease Vogue has in their patterns for knits compared with Jalie.  Ugh.  I planned this as a top for DD, and the style is similar to tops she has purchased at Nordstrom.  Going by her measurements, I cut a size 14 with the B-cup bodice.  The whole thing looked gigantic on my sewing table, so I made the seams 1" instead of 5/8".  I meant to stabilize the shoulders, but I forgot.  I serged all seams and used the coverstitch on the neck binding and hems.  Plus,  I used self-fabric binding instead of the recommended bias tape, stretching the binding as I sewed it in the hopes of diminishing the anticipated gaposis (and it worked; the neckline stays in place).  With these changes, it's wearable, but now that she's tried it on, it is still looser than I would like.  I could take it in some more, but she likes it as is so it is on its way to her closet.

The fabric is a jersey I bought on sale last summer at Joann's.  It has a nice drape, but does tend to curl a bit.   I still have quite a bit of fabric left over; perhaps I'll use it in a swingy summer skirt.


Happy sewing! ~ Peggy

4 comments:

  1. The top looks fantastic - from the pictures it doesn't look too big. Love the fabric - very chic looking top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cute Peggy and I love the fabric. It looks like it fits! I really love the top and need to start checking out the fabric at JoAnnes - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this top! It doesn't look too loose at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Peggy
    Sofie Mitropoulos ... look under Sofie Metropolis and that is the name of the book!
    By the way love this top!

    ReplyDelete