Monday, April 9, 2012

Dresses and Shoes! Shoes and Dresses!


Just for fun, and because I'm nosey, I wanted to look at the construction details on the dresses of some of my favorite designers.  I found myself (somehow!) in a dressing room at Neiman Marcus with a slew of dresses.  Some of the dresses had great details, like the beautiful bodice seaming on this David Meister number:




I've been wanting to try on the Issa dress worn by Kate Middleton for her engagement announcement, and I finally found it at Neiman Marcus ($390), but in viscose instead of silk jersey.  They only had a 2 and an 8, and, as you can see, the 8 was too small.  Hello cleavage!  The neckline on this dress is awkward.  Also, the arms were too tight.



I think  McCall's 5974 is perfect for replicating this style.  About the only difference is that on the Issa dress, there is a slit on one side of the wrap belt where it meets the bodice.  The slit is to thread the opposite end of the belt, and I don't think it really adds anything.  Here's my version (about $20) of 5974 (and I do plan to make more):

Here are some of the other goodies I tried on.  The navy/stripe color-block dress (not flattering!) and the green dress with the gold belt buckle are Milly ($355 and $425), the jersey print is another (too small) Issa dress ($450), and a couple from David Meister ($415 and $325).




 No, I didn't buy any of these, nor did I ever intend to--but trying them on was a lot of fun and it was interesting to see how well (or not) they were made.

I did do my bit for the economy, though.  I purchased these lovelies at Nordstrom:
Navy suede pumps from Ivanka Trump

Coral patent slingbacks from Ivanka Trump

And now, it is off to the sewing studio, where I have a coral/bright pink/white stretch pique ready to be sewn into a summery sheath.


Happy sewing! ~ Peggy


4 comments:

  1. That print jersey dress is killer on you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhh! I like your shoes! Both pairs are really pretty. I snoop shop too but unlike you I can't try them on...but it's nice to see the details and touch the fabric up close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Thanks, Margy. It was cutting off the circulation in my arms!

    Thanks, Carolyn. I could see you in these shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That jersey print dress is too small? Are your sure? Because you are an absolute knock-out in that dress.

    ReplyDelete