Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sheath Dress in Pink/White/Coral Stretch Pique

I'm sure warm weather is just around the corner, although here in the San Francisco area we have been having lots of rain (including thunder and lightening which is very unusual for these parts).  So, with the faith that someday I will no longer need to have the heater blasting, I have made another version of McCall's 2401.  This iteration is in stretch pique, and I love the delicious colors!  I haven't sewn many stretch wovens, and I have no idea if what I did was a good idea or not, but because of the stretch, I stabilized the shoulders and the zipper area with fusible interfacing.  The fabric is opaque, so the dress doesn't need a lining, and I used a double layer of batiste for the facings. 
 
I anticipate making other stretch woven dresses--some that will need linings.  But what kind of fabric should I use for the lining?  I want to keep the stretch (that's kind of the whole point!).  A tricot?  A stretch broadcloth?  What do you think?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I added 3" to the length and scooped out the armscyes a little bit for a more comfortable fit.  All vertical edges were serged (hot pink!) prior to sewing the seams.  The invisible zipper gave me fits!  In fact, I was reading Goodbye Valentino's entry about non-stop sewing issues as I was ripping out the invisible zipper (again)!   Actually, I think my issue is with my invisible zipper foot.  Grrrr.  I hand stitched the hem.


This stretch pique was great to sew--lots of body, no skittering around, and it pressed well.  I am a little worried about how well this fabric will retain its shape when it's worn. 
A bra and real, live hips will fill this out better than the mannequin!
The fabric was purchased recently (on sale, of course!) from Joann's.  

I'm pretty pleased with the fit of this pattern, and I think I can now classify it as a TNT!  I'd like to try chopping the pieces up, like Carolyn, and do some color blocking.

Well, I'm off to do some chores before heading to the airport to pick up DD.  She spent spring break at a beach in North Carolina with some grad school buddies, but it's back to work tomorrow!

Happy sewing! ~ Peggy

 

10 comments:

  1. I love this! That fabric is gorgeous- that's one of my favorite color combos. I bet this looks great on you and you will get tons of wear out of it this summer. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Refreshing colors on this lovely sheath dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super pretty! I love the fabric and the style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a pretty dress! I love stretch cotton pique and regular cotton pique and how they wear. I don't think you will have to many issues with bagging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I saw that fabric and liked it, but didn't know what to do with it. You've nailed it with a lovely dress. For the lining, I'd probably use a stretch broadcloth, or something similar. Lately, I've been lining cotton with cotton instead of rayon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful dress! Colours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've sewn this dress a few times for my wife. One of my favorite patterns to make! Nice job! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Peggy, I responded to your question on the Mood blog. Nice dress! Love to see it in one of our fabrics. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peggy,
    Your dress is so cute! I invested in an invisible zipper foot specifically for my machine which has made a huge difference in zipper installation. I had a cheap ($3.99) one that I picked up but it was a nightmare. Please let me know when you find out what kind of lining is best for stretch fabric. I've wondered about that myself. Thanks for the link to my post also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great dress, love that fabric (pink and orange is one of my favourite combo's)

    ReplyDelete