Monday, May 7, 2012

Another Sheath, 80s Maternity Dresses, and a New Project


This is my third attempt at McCall’s 2401, and I think I am finally done tweaking the fit!  This is an easy pattern to whip up, and it has lots of potential for different looks.  Kind of funny, though, that I keep sewing the same view!  I do envision making some long sleeved versions in double knit for fall/winter. 
This dress is made from a really nice Robert Kaufman pique (circa 1992) that I recently found packed away in the garage.  I have a lot of this fabric, and I like the print, so I thought it was perfect for another go-round with this pattern.  

I assume the fabric is 100% cotton, but it washed/dried like a dream with no wrinkles.  I added 7/8” to the bodice length and several inches to the skirt length, lined it with batiste, and used an invisible zipper.   Oh, and something else:  I used a blind-hem foot for the first time, and it worked like a charm!  Soooo much faster than hemming by hand.  This will probably be worn with a cardigan and thin belt in fuchsia.
You know what else was in the packing box with this fabric?  These maternity patterns from the 80s! I'd forgotten that there was a line of Dynasty patterns.  The Vogue pattern was clearly inspired by Princess Diana.  I made both of these way back when, but I didn't add the shoulder pads!
  
Next up?  I'm working on McCall's 5974.  I've made this once before in a 14; this time, I'm trying out a 12.  For this iteration, because I'm not exactly sure how well this size will work for me, I'm using a recent Fabric.com purchase that I picked up on sale for $2.39 a yard.  If I don't like the fit (or the fabric), it won't be the end of the world.
Shoe love:   These Cole Haan shoes are the latest additions to my closet.  They're incredibly comfortable, and since they were on sale, I bought them in 3 shades: black, red, and cove (sand) patent.  
 Happy sewing! ~ Peggy

9 comments:

  1. Ooo! I love that fabric! The sheath is really pretty. Such a classic style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love sheath dresses and I love that fabric print. So summery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just love happy colors, don't you?

      Delete
  3. I agree, very nice sheath! And I love the fabric for you next project too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Myra! I just finished the dress out of the purple fabric--I like it!

      Delete
  4. The sheath turned out beautifully!
    Ah, yes those 80's maternity patterns.... Don't thinks I made that particular one. They were rather voluminous, which was actually quite comfortable, as I recall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee! Yes, voluminous and with big shoulders. One could fit a lot inside one of those dresses! I gave birth in August (in the 80s, not last August!!), so I really appreciated having roomy clothes because I was always so hot!

      Delete