Wednesday, May 9, 2012

McCall's 5974


 This is the second time I've made McCall's 5974--this time, in a size 12 instead of a 14.  The 14 is very comfortable but pretty loose, so I thought I'd try it a size smaller.  I'm still debating which size is better, and I think it will help to see some pix with the dress in action instead of on the form; those'll have to wait until DD comes for a visit.

I added 3 inches to the length of the skirt, and an inch in length to the bodice.  The seams were all sewn and serged, and I used the coverstitch to hem the sleeves and skirt.  I skipped the zipper--no need with such a stretchy knit.  Instead of making a narrow hem at the neck, I bound the neck edges.  The shoulders were stabilized with fusible interfacing, and the sleeves were sewn in flat. 
This isn't a difficult pattern, but the fabric drove me nuts.  I went through 3 needles on this stuff!  Oh well.  The fabric was purchased on sale from Fabric.com for $2.39 a yard; the pattern was purchased for 99 cents on sale at Joann's.  Cheap!  This makes me happy.  I am, ahem, selectively frugal.  I think this style is very flattering, and I want to make some more of these dresses once I have the size figured out.  In fact, I think I'll use this recent purchase:
Thank you for your kind comments on my recent projects.  I really appreciate your time and generosity!
Happy sewing! ~ Peggy

18 comments:

  1. Really pretty! This looks like the dress Kate Middleton wore when she got engaged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! This pattern is almost identical to the Issa dress that Kate Middleton wore. Thanks for stopping by. ~ Peggy

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely, lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irene! I love the olive dress you just made. I've had the pattern for ages and need to make it. Yours turned out so nicely. ~ Peggy

      Delete
  3. Such a pretty fabric and pattern combination- selective frugality pays off this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Here's my problem: I will rationalize buying a new pair of shoes (or chocolate!) because I spent so little on this dress. Heehee!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Cennetta! I love to look at all the creations you have on your blog! I think I'm going to have to get the Christine Jonson travel trio!

      Delete
  5. Very pretty dress! I've made this dress before and really like your version! I love the aqua/white/black swatch you are planning to use...I know I just saw that fabric somewhere and it's driving me crazy now because I can't find it again. Could you kindly give me a clue? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorgeous Fabrics has one yard left, but it is also available (and cheaper) from www.fabricsworldusa.com for only $7/yard. Here's a link: http://fabricsworldusa.com/site/products_details.php?product_id=666&cat_id=

      Good luck! ~ Peggy

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dress is really cute Peggy! What a bargain and I can't wait to see what you do with the aqua!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dress is beautiful. I'm ready to tackle this pattern. Just have a few questions. How do you figure the length of the neck binding and where to lengthen the top and skirt since there are no lines? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. For the binding, I measured the length of the neckline and cut a (2" wide) strip that long, but didn't use the full amount. I folded it in half (lengthwise), sewed the raw edges of the binding to the wrong side of the bodice, stretching slightly, then trimmed the (5/8") seam, lopped off the unused portion of the binding, folded the binding over the trimmed seam to the right side, and topstitched. I like this method because of the clean finish on the inside.

    As for the length, I measured about 7 inches from the bottom of the front and back skirt pieces and cut across (following the curve of the pattern), then I added a three inch piece of paper and taped it to the pattern pieces. The bodice was little trickier--well, not the front, just the back. For the front, I split the midriff band in half lengthwise and added an inch. For the back, I compared the back piece with the front bodice and midriff band to determine where the midriff band would meet at the back, then I measured that distance on the back, cut it, and taped an inch wide piece.

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been inspired by your versions of this dress and your useful comments. I have bought the pattern and intend to make it over the Christmas holidays. As I teach I want to copy your neckline idea with the binding as the dress is a little low otherwise! Did you cut the binding on the diagonal or the straight of grain? By the way my favourite is the bright pink version you made for your daughter, it is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments, Kitkat! The pink version is my favorite too--and my daughter loves it! You should definitely make it; it gives you a lot of style and is pretty easy to make. For the binding, I just cut a strip across the grain. Let me know when you've made your version! ~ Peggy

      P.S. I plan to make more versions of this dress. I'm looking for an animal print and will wear the dress with boots.

      Delete