Monday, July 30, 2012

Full-Skirted Frocks

Greetings from sunny California! ~ August is just around the corner, and that means my darling daughter will be going back to work very soon.  She is a high school special education teacher by day, and an aspiring novelist by night and early morning.  In the past, DD has favored slacks or pencil skirts for work, but a special request has come for some full-skirted dresses.  Why, you ask?  Well, I'll let these American Girl Doll displays from the NYC store tell the story.

First there was this (kind of):
And then there was this (pretty much):
Oh, cursed injuries!  She's got partial tears of the ACL, MCL, a strained meniscus, a bruised kneecap, etc., etc.  She was playing grass doubles volleyball with her friend, Cecca, one blustery San Francisco Saturday about six weeks ago.  During the championship match, DD leapt up to make a kill, but when she landed, her foot slid on the grass and a loud and icky "pop" was heard as she collapsed on the ground.  Poor baby!  

Well, things are a bit better now--she can walk with crutches and is in a big metal brace from her ankle to her hip.  It's because of this brace that she needs some full skirts.  She can wear the brace over pants, but the metal parts rub at the fabric on the inner thigh of the opposite leg, and a straight skirt will not fit over the brace.               

We went through my stash of patterns, and she chose several styles that she liked.  I've finished one (shown below) and just need to hem another.  I'll see how many of these I can whip up in the next week or two.


This is McCall's 5974 in a size 12 with 6" added to the length of the skirt.  (DD is 6 feet tall with looooong legs.)  I did my usual with this pattern:  coverstitched the hems, bound the neck, and put the sleeves in flat.  The fabric is a jersey from Gorgeous Fabrics; it is very silky with a nice drape.  DD loves pink, so I knew this would be a winner.  And, as you can see, there's plenty of room for the brace!
Next up, Simplicity 2444 in a pretty pink floral stretch cotton from Fabric.com.  
 After I've hemmed it, I'll post more pictures and pattern details.

Until next time...

Happy sewing! ~ Peggy

8 comments:

  1. Awww Peggy, what a great mom you are! The dresses are gorgeous, and the fit looks perfect. I hope she heals well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! Your swimsuit tops look great! Can't wait to see the next iteration.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear your daughter is on the "mend"! Love the dresses! I am a bright color fan. As a teacher myself I understand the need to be comfortable while working. I think the dresses will do the "trick"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dharma! What are you working on these days?

      Delete
  3. I hope daughter gets well soon! Although, Mom making these beautiful dresses for her just might do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Myra! I loved your Demi Drape top so much I've ordered the pattern :)

      Delete
  4. This is a super cute dress. I love the one at the bottom to. Such pretty colors

    ReplyDelete