Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Sassy Summer Skirt - McCall's 3830

I don't know about you, but during the week, I like simple projects that I can work on a few minutes at a time.  Why?  Well, my brain is often kaput by the time I get home from work, so anything too complex might reduce me to tears.  To avoid tears and tantrums, I like to have a few easy but stylish projects ready to work on during the week.  This project, another McCall's 3830 skirt, was sewn in bits and pieces over the course of a few evenings--and the machine blind-hem was done one morning before work.

The fabric is kind of wild, but I love it!  It is a home dec fabric that I bought on sale at Joann's.  The skirt is underlined with yellow poly/cotton broadcloth, all edges were finished with yellow thread on the serger, and I used an invisible zipper.
25ish years ago, I bought my first serger, a Babylock.  It was a workhorse, but it was a PITA to thread!  A few years ago, I replaced that serger with a Babylock Imagine, and I LOVE it!  It is so easy to change the threads, allowing me to feed my obsession with matchy-matchy thread finishes!
I've a few more pieces of home dec fabrics that I plan to make into skirts, but I think I'll take a break from these for a while. 

Meanwhile, guess what?  I just came back from my first trip to New York's garment district and I had a blast!  Here's one of the goodies I bought at Mood:

It's a rayon/lycra jersey, and I just love the colors!  I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet-- maybe another McCall's 5974.

Do you sew after work or wait for a day off?  Any tips on increasing sewing productivity during the work week?  I'd love to learn what you do!

In the meantime--
Happy sewing! ~ Peggy


13 comments:

  1. What a cute skirt, Peggy, I love it! How fun that you got to visit the garment district. It's on my 'to do' list.
    Sometimes I can only sew in small snippets, especially in the evening. Last night I cut out a pattern and sewed the shoulder seams. The rest awaits - it's good that I have a dedicated room, so I can leave out my current wip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Andrea! Sounds like we do the same thing: sewing in small spurts. Isn't it great to know you can get a small sewing fix in during busy times--sewing a dart, or a seam, etc.--and pretty soon, the garment will be finished? BTW, I love the Burda outfit you recently posted; the skirt fabric is gorgeous! ~ Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy - I just wanted to tell you how cute the skirt is because I have no sewing after work tips. I only sew on my days off but that's probably because I like to wallow in the sewing instead of doing it in short bursts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Carolyn!

    Yeah, a full day of sewing is the best--I like to be able to get into something more complex and satisfying. Unfortunately, my weekends haven't been my own lately!

    I love the purple cardy you made--it looks perfect with your new dresses! ~ Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute skirt.
    I also seem to sew in little bits. I keep trying to designate a "sewing day" into the week, but somehow my schedule just will not cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Irene! Yes, my schedule won't cooperate either :)

      I love your new pleated skirt! ~ Peggy

      Delete
  6. I wish I had full days to sew, but that only happens in the summer when I am on vacation. I try to make time several times a week to sew, even if it is only for 20 minutes. That didn't happen as often as I would like this past school year. I hope this coming year will be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy ~ Good luck getting more sewing time in this year! Yes, the small chunks of sewing time are sometimes hard to work into the schedule, but they certainly help with productivity! How's your bombshell muslin coming along? ~ Peggy

      Delete
  7. I love your skirt - using home decorating fabrics is such a good idea, and this print is really lovely. Enjoy wearing it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. Exeter! Your new home looks splendid! Hope you had a fab time in Florence. ~ Peggy

      Delete
  8. Super cute skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never thought of using home dec fabric for a skirt. How perfect is that? No need for lining. And I love some of the patterns on home dec fabrics.

    ReplyDelete