Friday, July 20, 2012

Stretch Shirtwaist Dress

I am toying with a dress for my daughter.  She has fallen in love with Samantha Sung dresses, but at about $500 a pop, she'd rather see if we can replicate the look for a whole lot less so she can have multiple versions.  The style she likes, pictured below, is the Audrey.  It is made from stretch cotton woven fabric (the website calls it "cotton stretch peeling")--many different colors and prints available.  We've done some snoop-shopping (of course!) and the dresses are very flattering on DD, but she could use a little more room in the arms, and more length in the bodice.  (BTW, do you know what "cotton stretch peeling" is?  I assume it's the fabric that Samantha Sung uses, but my internet search hasn't yielded any answers.)
DD first saw one of these dresses on another high school teacher; with the conservative style and the ease of the stretch fabric, DD says this style would be perfect to wear in her classroom. She'd like some of these dresses with 3/4 sleeves (instead of long sleeves) for versatility.  That way, she can wear them in warmer weather, or add a cardigan and boots for cooler weather.  

I have several shirtwaist patterns, but I am still vacillating about which one to use.  I love Vogue 8383 (OOP); its princess-seamed bodice is very flattering.  

I've made this dress before, shown below (View D)--I call it my "Backyard BBQ dress."
This is a size 14, and I had DD try it on.  Unfortunately, it is way too big on her--and since this is a woven and we want to make it in a stretch woven, it definitely needs to be smaller.   When Vogue recently had a sale on their OOP patterns, I snatched up a size 12 so I can give it a whirl.  This pattern doesn't have sleeves, so I'll make a sleeveless version (lengthening the bodice and the skirt)--and I'll probably pleat the skirt too.  If it works, I'll work on drafting 3/4 length sleeves.


Another option, also OOP, is Vogue 8028:
I've always liked this pattern, but the smallest I have is a 14.  I made a muslin of the bodice in some horrid stretch sateen I'd purchased at Joann's (it wasn't horrid until I washed it), and it was gigantic on DD.  So, I also purchased a smaller version of this pattern during Vogue's OOP sale but I haven't gotten it yet.

So, what do you think?  Any suggestions for shirtwaist patterns?  And, do you have any good sources for stretch wovens?  (I have a few pieces I bought at Gorgeous Fabrics, but I'm looking for more!)


Until later...

Happy sewing! ~ Peggy





14 comments:

  1. Fabric.com has some nice stretch wovens rght now. You should check them out! - Mary Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary Sue! I'll be sure to take a look at the Fabric.com website. Thanks so much for the tip! ~ Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I immediately thought of Vogue 8028 when I saw the picture of the S. Sung dress. It is such a classic style. I would make sure to use a light weight stretch woven. So many of them are bottom weight fabrics which might be a bit heavy and stiff for a dress of this style. I'll bet it would be wonderfully comfortable in a knit. Maybe "peeling" is a bad translation of 'onionskin" which is a light weight knit. www.emmaonesock.com has some unique woven fabrics with lycra in them ( the stretch in stretch woven) and she shows them draped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Audrey! I am still waiting for my Vogue order, but I think I am going to go with 8028. And thanks for the suggestion about Emma One Sock. My order is on its way!!

      Delete
  4. I've made up V8028 several times already and am quite partial to it. Even in a non-stretch fabric, I find shirt dresses to be quite comfortable and incredibly versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Irene! I agree; shirt dresses are classic silhouettes that are also comfortable and versatile! Bonus!

      Delete
  5. How about Simplicity 2246? View C has a gathered skirt, which can be converted to pleats. Also, the pattern comes with 3/4 length sleeves that roll up pretty nicely. I've made it a couple times, View A and View C, and I'm pretty happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked out S 2446. I hadn't realized it had the gathered skirt version. I think it is a real possibility. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  6. DD is lucky to have a mom who makes her so many clothes! Are you also making her a wrap dress in a happy pink pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I think you are a "sweat shop" spy who has seen the pretty pink/ivory jersey draped over my mannequin. The dress is done. It just needs a special person to come try it on!!

      Delete
  7. Peggy,
    I would like to invite you and other SF Bay area bloggers to a meet-up at Cañada College on Monday, August 13 at 7:00 pm in the Fashion Dept, building 3, room 255. You will have a chance meet other bloggers, and local sewing authors. Bring something that you have made to show. There will be lots of food and gifts for a fun summer evening. Parking is free.
    Let us know if you can come. Ronda Chaney 650 306-3370 or chaney@smccd.edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ronda ~ I would love to come, but I am taking a class on Monday nights. Darn it! Please keep me in mind for future meet-ups. Thanks ~ Peggy

      Delete
  8. Hi Peggy! Glad to see you back at the machine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the machine(s) and I are still good friends. We have the occasional argument, but they always bring me back with promises of good behavior! Actually, I was back east for several weeks, and there was a health crisis (not life-threatening) in my family. But, I'm back now and rarin' to go!

      Delete