Thursday, August 2, 2012

Simplicity 2444

As promised, here is the second full-skirted frock for my daughter.  This is Simplicity 2444, from their Project Runway line, and I'm very pleased with it.  The pattern is well drafted, came together very easily, and I like the combination of the four (front) bodice darts and the gentle pleats of the skirt.
I made a size 12, but added 1" in length to the bodice, 1/4" to the side seams, and 7" to the skirt length (we are tall people!).  I wound up trimming 1-3/4" off the skirt length, and gave it a 1" hem using my blindstitch hem foot.  It falls just below the knee.
The fabric is a stretch woven from Fabric.com, purchased in April for $4.98 per yard.  DD and I love, love, love the print and the colors.
The neckline and sleeves are bound in the fashion fabric, and I used an invisible zipper.  To mark the darts and pleats, I used my new erasable gel pens.  Have you tried these?  I love them!  Of course, I tested them on a scrap of the fabric first!  Use a hot iron on the marks, and they disappear like magic!
DD tried on the dress before it was hemmed, and the skirt provides plenty of room for her (temporary) leg brace.  She likes the comfort of the stretch woven fabric, and says the dress will be perfect for the classroom.  Yay!  The best compliment for me, though, is that she'd like more versions!  Next time, I will only add 1/2" to the bodice length and remove the 1/4" I added to the side seams--if I make it in a stretch woven.  In a regular woven, I'll still lengthen the bodice by 1/2" and I'll try leaving the 1/4" (at the side seams) to give her a little more ease.  I'll leave the skirt with the extra inches I added, although if I hadn't lengthened the skirt so much, I probably could've cut the front skirt on the fold to eliminate the center front seam--maybe next time.
You can see she has plenty of room in the bodice--perfect on a hot, hot day in a classroom filled with sweaty teenagers, but for going out, she'd like the bodice a little more fitted. 

Do you have any tricks for sewing stretch wovens?  Have you found a good source of them?

Until next time...
Happy sewing! ~ Peggy

21 comments:

  1. OMG I love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress is beautiful! I have never tried those eraseable gel pens, but I'm going to be getting some now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela ~ Thanks so much for stopping by. Yes, these pens are great (as long as you test them on your fabric first!). Soooo much easier to mark darts, etc.

      Delete
  3. This a gorgeous dress. Your DD is one lucky lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cennetta! I know you're gearing up for your own DD sewing!!

      Delete
  4. Great dress! I love the print, too! And those frixion pens are the best! Don't know how I lived without them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cissie! Yes, these pens are the best!!

      Delete
  5. Your DD is so lucky! Maybe you should make her a dress in the school colors. Or maybe one out of a Pirate print? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if anyone would know just how lucky DD is, I believe it would be you, Ms. Anonymous! BTW, be careful what you ask for--you just might wind up with a whole wardrobe of pirate gear!

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful dress! Thanks for the tip on the erasable gel pens too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. The fabric you chose was perfect for this dress. I would have never thought to use the erasable gel pens. You are so brave :) Thanks for testing them and letting the rest of us know it's okay *lol*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lucy! I sure hope your ankle is healing quickly!

      Delete
  8. Wow! I really like this

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely elegant dress. Beautiful colours and great fit. I love with the belt / sash too. Must get me some of those gel pens too - thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for posting, Peggy! I attempted to make a muslin of this today and it bombed as I made a size four and seemingly need a more generous size. Your photos inspire me to try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacey! Good luck with the pattern! It comes together very easily.

      Delete
  11. Peggy, this is darling! I need to try this pattern. But I would need to take that many inches off the skirt because I am short! I love this dress.

    ReplyDelete