Friday, October 5, 2012

Hybrid Simplicity 2444 in a Graphic Print

It's been hot, hot, hot in these parts, so I decided another cool and comfy dress was in order.  I love this bold black and white print; it's a stretch cotton woven with a nice hand.  I purchased the fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics and had made a Pamela's Patterns Magic Pencil Skirt from some of the yardage, so I didn't have a whole lot left.  Nevertheless, I decided to make another Simplicity 2444, knowing that I'd have to really fiddle with the skirt to make it work.

A half-inch in length was added to the bodice, and I also drafted facings for the bodice rather than the sleeve binding and dinky neckline facing that the pattern called for.  The fabric doesn't need a lining, and I want it to be as cool as possible.  There's probably a name for the type of facings I drafted, but I don't know what it is!  The facings are one piece for the front and one piece for the back--the neckline and armscyes are taken care of in one fell swoop.

There was no way I was going to be able to use 2444's skirt as I simply didn't have enough fabric.  Instead, I drafted a flared skirt with some gathering at the waist.  I did my usuals: an invisible zipper, blind-stitched the hem on my sewing machine, finished edges with the serger, and stabilized the shoulders.

I like longer skirts, and I was able to eke this one out of my minimal yardage.  The skirt would probably look better worn with heels, but this was at the end of the day and my "emergency" quilted black patent flats were about all that could be handled!  (Do you keep extra shoes at work?  I keep this pair and a pair of bronze slingbacks.  I like to be prepared if my feet get sore or tired.)  
Crack of dawn... (better looking shoes!)
Next up?  I'm not quite sure.  I have a McCall's 5974 cut out and ready to go, but I might do something with some double knit instead.  Oh, but I am excited about this: I've cleaned out the closet in my sewing, etc. room and am installing shelves in the closet Sunday!  Finally, I hope to have sufficient storage for my sewing-related goodies!  How about you?  What are you up to?

Until next time, happy sewing!  ~ Peggy

9 comments:

  1. I love this! so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks super on you - the pop of red just finishes it off nicely! As for what I am up to, well, this weekend has plans for finishing off a top, starting a skirt, and...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Judith! (I'm embarrassed it's taken me so long to reply.) By now, you've probably finished ten tops and skirts!

      Delete
  3. This one's gorgeous! And that red belt really sets it off.
    One of the perks of working from home - I can shlep around in my slippers all day long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Irene! I found the belt at Kohl's and I just love it. Oh, I'm envious of you--wearing slippers all day sounds fabulous!

      Delete
  4. Absolutely love this!!! What a fantastic print and i love how you have styled this. Very smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jen! I absolutely love this fabric. It has some heft and yet is very soft. Wonderful to sew!

      Delete
  5. Oh I love, love, love this print!! And the dress, and all your iterations, have me seeking out this pattern! Only thing, I MUST have pockets, LOL!

    ReplyDelete