Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Stretch Pique Sheath, the Sequel

About a month ago, I had a coupon from Joann's for 60% off one regularly-priced item, and I used it to purchase this stretch cotton pique which, I think, was $14.99 per yard.  There was just enough fabric on the bolt to make another sleeveless version of McCall's 2401.  


I think I can classify this pattern as one of my TNTs, now that I've made it four times (here, here, and here)--twice in stretch woven piques, and twice in non-stretch wovens.  I added three inches in length, used an invisible zipper, stabilized the shoulders, and used my machine's blind-hem stitch for the hem.
I did a mini-assembly line with this dress.  That is, I cut out two different patterns in stretch wovens that both needed white thread.  Then, with my machines threaded and with stretch needles in place, I applied interfacings to both, serge-finished the edges of all pieces, sewed the darts (14 in total), etc., until I had two dresses that just needed to have the facings tacked and the hems sewn!  It all went very quickly and was very satisfying to see two dresses come together so easily.
The belt isn't a perfect match, but it works well enough.  It is from a 28-year old silk dress of mine that I still have, but haven't worn in ages!  I keep thinking I might do something with the pretty fabric.  Here's an old photo of me in the dress at my cousin's wedding many years ago:
Shoulder pads!  (And my black suede Papagallo pumps--I loved those shoes)
I'm planning to make this pattern several more times.  I have some pretty double knit that I think will make a great long- or 3/4-sleeved version.  It's too hot for that right now, though; it's been in the triple digits the last few days making it pretty hard to think about fall or winter clothing.  But, if it has cooled off enough upstairs now, I'm going to go hem the dress I made at the same time as this one--photos soon, I hope.

Thank you for the well wishes for my daughter's recovery from her knee injury.  She is healing well, and is out of the heavy-duty thigh-to-ankle brace!  Of course, she'll be in physical therapy for a long time to come.  She's itching to get back on the volleyball court, but that's months away.  Here she is the requested DVF knock-off dress at back-to-school night:

Until next time, happy sewing! ~ Peggy

16 comments:

  1. Pretty dress. I love the print. I had those shoes. I don't think Papagalllo is still in business is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comments. You know, I don't think I've seen any Papagallo shoes for ages. Too bad!

      Delete
  2. Love the dress, you have matched the fabric and style perfectly. Off to have a peek around your blog...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Judith! I really do like this fabric. I was able to find some more stretch pique (in solid colors) on the Vogue Fabrics website.

      Delete
  3. Such a pretty dress! Glad your daughter is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea! Yes, my daughter is doing so much better, and, she just got fitted for a new knee brace which will be customized to fit her. And, it's going to be HOT PINK!

      Delete
  4. Stunning dress, Peggy! Very nic looking DVF knockoff dress. Thanks for the update on your daughter. By the way, I like your hair a "few" years ago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind comments, Heather! I've recently gone back to my 80s hair color. Oh, the magic of chemicals.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE this fabric. Beautiful dress. I never seem to find anything but solids in stretch cotton at my Joann's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I've only been able to find two prints in stretch pique which is a shame because I love sewing and wearing this fabric. It's cool and comfortable in hot, hot weather!

      Delete
  6. That wrap dress is awesome. I have that pattern but have yet to try it. But you've convinced me I need to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Allison. Yes, definitely try 5974. It is one of my all-time favorite patterns. You get the look of the wrap dress without any wardrobe malfunctions!

      Delete