Sunday, November 25, 2012

New Look 6150

A week or so ago, I was in Walmart.  I haven’t been to a Walmart in ages, in part because there aren’t any where I live, and I like the idea of supporting independent stores.  However, my mother, who has recently had knee replacement surgery, had asked me to run errands for her, and this included a trip to the Walmart in Sonoma County.  You probably know this, but I didn’t:  Walmart on a Saturday is crazy!   But, as Mary Poppins said, the prospect of a treat makes chores a lot more palatable.  Okay, maybe she didn’t say just like that, but …  My treat was to peruse the sewing section. I didn’t have a lot of time, and as I mentioned, the place was PACKED, but I did scoop up some notions and New Look patterns—which I think were $2.79 each.  (I can’t find my receipt!)  One of my purchases was New Look 6150, and I whipped up view D in a couple of hours using this yummy Sophia double knit from Vogue Fabrics in tarragon.  
 It's a very straight-forward pattern with easy, clear instructions.  I deviated slightly from those instructions (as I am wont to do).  I stabilized the shoulders and I put the sleeves in flat.  I also used the coverstitch on the neckline and hems.  Here's a close-up of the neckline:
 Then, since I had extra fabric and it was a chilly day, I made a coordinating infinity scarf (14" by 58" before sewing).  I like the versatility this adds.
This top will go perfectly with a pencil skirt I am making out of this home dec fabric:
With equestrian boots, tights, and a belt, I hope it'll be a sharp outfit.  We'll see!

For those of you who celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope you had a happy and restful holiday.  For our celebration, I actually made something I'd pinned on Pinterest--a pecan pie cake.  Oh my goodness, it was delicious! 
Back soon with the finished skirt.  In the meantime, happy sewing!
 ~ Peggy







16 comments:

  1. Nice top, love the added scarf. At first glance, I thought it was an attached cowl! I'm not a Wal-mart fan, but New Look Patterns for under $3? Hmmm - I might have to take a look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Andrea! Yep, great deals on New Look at Walmart. I'm going to have to go back!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the scarf! I thought it was a cowlneck top, but this is great that it is separate. Like the color too. THank you for linking it so I can find it! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind comments, Mary!

      Delete
  4. Great new top and your planned outfit does sound good. THe cake looks extremely yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janine, for your comments! Yes, the cake was sooooo good! A lot of work, but OMG it was delish!

      Delete
  5. Wow, how creative! This is so beautiful! I am going to run out and get this pattern! Beautiful color too! I wish Walmart sold patterns in our area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Myra, for your comments! I'm going to have to go back to Walmart and see what else they have :) By the way, I LOVED the dress you made for your son's wedding. It was gorgeous!

      Delete
  6. Great top, Peggy. The scarf is a wonderful addition, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cissie! The scarf was an afterthought but I am really pleased with how it brings the look together.

      Delete
  7. Your neckline looks so professional. Did you use a twin needle?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, yes and no. I set my coverstitch machine to use two needles, but it is not a twin needle like you'd use on a sewing machine. It's very similar to the set up on a serger. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great project! Beautiful fabric and love the scarf. Can't wait to see the entire outfit, including the skirt. And the case, yummy! Looks fantastic. Thank you for sharing. Annette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annette, for your kind comments! I hope to have pictures of the skirt up tomorrow. And, yes, the cake was delicious (and verrrrrrry rich)!

      Delete
  10. Wonderful idea to make a matching infinity scarf. I make lots of cowl neck tops - but this method would double a top's versatility and still have the cowl look when I want it.
    Beautiful top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gee, i LOVE that matching infinity scarf idea and wish so much that it wasn't summer where I live. I desperately want to start sewing matching scarves for all new plain tops I sew!! Also, love the colour of the knit AND the skirt you made to match!! Finding you very inspiring and will be following your blog from now on. Oh, and I'd love to see some photos without your head chopped off!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete