Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The New Skirt

As promised, here's my newly made skirt:

It's another McCall's 3830, but this one has a few changes.  I added two more darts to both the front and the back, and I also added a waistband.  The top is New Look 6150 and an infinity scarf, blogged about here.

The fabric is from Joann's home dec department, on sale, and I chose it because I think the colors can span a couple seasons. 

The skirt is underlined with black poly/cotton broadcloth to give it a little more body and to, hopefully, stave off wrinkles.  All edges were serged prior to sewing the seams.



I inserted an invisible zipper using my brand new Bernina foot on my old Bernina 930--and it came out perfectly!  Yay!  For the hem, I used the blindstitch foot on my newish Babylock sewing machine.  

All in all, I'm pleased with the whole outfit.  I'll try to get some modeled shots soon.  In the meantime, happy sewing!


~ Peggy


12 comments:

  1. This is a great outfit! Very sharp. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very pretty and I love the color combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carolyn! Can't wait to see the next piece in your wardrobe!

      Delete
  3. Great shirt! I love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful skirt! Don't you love your new invisible zipper foot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! Yes, I am in looooove with my new invisible zipper foot!

      Delete
  5. Hi Peggy,

    I recently began following your blog when I fell in love with the black & white dress you made!

    This outfit too is great..........I'm curious how you finished the neckline? I see the twin needle coverstitching, did you just fold it under and stitch? Because when I try to do that, the top layer always puckers up due to the difference in circumference once folded under. Or do you snip it after folding? Or use some type of magical seam tape? Very curious, because it looks great!

    Tina in MN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina! To finish the neckline on this top, I used the facing piece that came with the pattern--really just a strip of fabric. I sewed the center back seam on the facing, folded it in half with wrong sides together, divided the facing in 4, and pinned the raw edges to the right side of the top at the centers and shoulders. I stretched the facing slightly as I stitched. Then, after trimming the seam, if pressed the facing to the inside, pinned it in place, and used my coverstitch machine (with two needles) to stitch the facing down. I also used the coverstitch to hem the sleeves and the bodice. I'm sure you could get the same look with a twin needle. Also, before I got the coverstitch, I often used Steam a Seam to keep knits in place before I topstitched. Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete