Friday, January 25, 2013

A Black Mini Skirt for Tripping the Light Fantastic

A week or so ago, my DD told me about "The Weekend of S..."  "S" being DD's very good friend and fellow college & professional volleyball player who would be celebrating a big birthday with a full weekend of activities.  One of the events will be an Irish-themed pub crawl, and since "S" is a native of Ireland, she has asked the guests to wear green.  I think most of the female guests will be 6'+ tall volleyball players, so I think they will be quite noticeable!  DD planned to wear her green RTW top (shown below), but what she really wanted--and asked if maybe mom could help--was a short black skirt that would be great for going out and dancing. 
I was tickled that I could make DD just what she wanted!  It's a McCall's 3830, size 12, in black double knit.  I underlined the skirt with black tricot for opacity and to give it a little more heft, and other than that, the only other change was to use an invisible zipper.

DD  came to my house tonight to try on the skirt before heading over to Berkeley for the first "Weekend of S..." event.   This outfit will be for tomorrow night's dinner, pub crawl, and dancing in San Francisco  Sounds fun, but exhausting to me!  (Et moi?  Oh, I think I'll be curled up on the couch with a good book!)

It only took a few hours (over the course of several nights) to make this skirt.  And best of all?  DD loves it!  

Here's a snap of "S" and DD at DD's birthday dinner at the Buckeye Roadhouse in Mill Valley (one of our favorite restaurants).  DD's wearing another mom-made dress (McCall's 5974).  

Next up?  I've finished two new tops and am almost done with a new skirt.  Pix soon, I hope.

Hope all is well with you!  Until next time, happy sewing!

~ Peggy




          













6 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun ... er 20 years ago. lol But the skirt is perfect and your daughter is beautiful! Great smile too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable outfit and perfect for the RTW top, styled exactly right. Your DD is a stunner, I hope she has a happy evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love it when DD and DGD LOVE what I make for them. (Doesn't always happen!;) ) She's beautiful and looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool your daughter likes to have you sew for her, and you come through with flying colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great skirt! Will you ever buy another skirt again?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely daughter and skirt.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete