Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Skirt for the New Top in the New Year!

Here's a new skirt to go along with the new dusty lavender top (blogged about here).   (There is some discoloration in the photos because of the dappled sunlight--there really aren't any spots or stains on the pieces!)
 The skirt is a modified McCall's 3830, and the top is Vogue 8323.
The skirt is made from gray RPL purchased from Joann's about a year ago.  It has a nice hand and was a dream to sew.  

I inserted an invisible zipper, but first I added fusible tricot interfacing in the zipper's seam allowances to stabilize them.  I used the same tricot on the waistband--which, by the way, is not included in McCall's 3830.  I did my usual skirt prep--that is, I finished all seam allowances on the serger prior to sewing any seams.



The other changes were to add two more darts to the front, and two more darts to the back.  I hemmed this skirt by hand instead of blind stitching on my machine because my thread wasn't quite the right shade of gray (my thread collection does not include, um, 50 shades of gray), and I didn't want the thread to show on the outside of the skirt.
Being silly
I'm pleased with the fit of this outfit--and both fabrics (top and skirt) are super comfy!  Not much in the closet went with the gray boots, so these two pieces are a good addition! 

I LOVE having time off for many reasons, including having lots of time to sew!  Yay!  So far in 2013, I've made this skirt and top, a shell, an infinity scarf, and I'm currently working on a hot pink top.  I probably can't keep up this pace once I go back to work, but I sure am having fun in the meantime!  How about you?  Are you getting some sewing done?

Until next time, happy sewing!
~ Peggy

15 comments:

  1. nice ensemble! Both pieces are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The outfit is lovely, but I got a little tired reading your list of accomplishments this year - already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But, Mary, do not be impressed with my output; I've just been on a sewing tear, but everything else has fallen by the wayside!

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a gorgeous outfit! Your review on the top already convinced me to take my copy out of Purgatory...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Margy! I'm glad you're going to give the top a try; the neckline is very flattering.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful outfit and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning. Both pieces fit beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect match for the great top as well as those really neat boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Myra! The boots were on sale at Nordstrom's a couple of years ago. Very comfortable!

      Delete
  7. Great looking outfit. Love the boots too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Audrey! It's nice to have something to wear with the boots!

      Delete