Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Vogue 8323 in Dusty Lavender

I decided to ring in 2013 with a new top!  This is my second version of Vogue 8323, view A, but with long sleeves.
Very shocking putting this on the dress form--static electricity!
The fabric was purchased online from Fabric Mart, and it is a dustier/smokier/paler lavender than shown in the photos.
I love that this pattern has princess seams!  I also love the shawl collar.  The top looks good on its own or layered under a jacket.

I made very few changes to this pattern--just lengthened the sleeves by two inches, sewed the sleeves in flat, and coverstitched the hems.  All seams were sewn on the regular machine and the seam allowances were trimmed and finished on the serger.  I also made 1/2 inch hems instead of the 1-1/4 inch hems specified in the instructions.
The photo above shows a close-up of the coverstitched hem.  IRL, the thread matches the lavender background quite well.  The photo below shows the inside front.
I had a little bit of fabric left over, so I whipped up my TNT shell, Kwik Sew 3740.  I might make a matching infinity scarf.  We'll see.

I hope you all had joyful holidays!  I've been enjoying reading the "best of 2012" compilations on lots of sewing blogs, but I think I'm too lazy to get a list together!  

May this year bring you peace, love, good health, and prosperity.  

Until next time, happy sewing!
~ Peggy




19 comments:

  1. Stunning - a beautiful top and lovely fabric. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, BeaJay! Happy new year!

      Delete
  2. Wow, cool top, congratulations! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nora! Happy new year to you, too!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful fabric - great choice for this top...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much, Judith! I love this color, and the fabric is super soft. Happy new year!

      Delete
  4. I like the look of this fabric. I realized that I have made this pattern before and really should pull it out to give it a try again. I like the neckline of this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Linda! I agree; the neckline on this top is great. Happy new year!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful blouse, and I love the fabric.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a pretty top, and I love the princess seams! Just added it to my pattern board at Pintrest. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teri! Princess seams are the greatest, aren't they? I'll have to check out your pattern board. Happy new year!

      Delete
  7. Lovely top and love the shaping. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Sheila! Happy new year!

      Delete
  8. What a great top to kick off the new year with. Love it. Happy New Year! PS- I'm feeling a bit lazy to write an end of the year review. So you are not alone. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cennetta! Hee hee--I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not up to writing an end-of-year review! BTW, I love the red dress you made your DD for Christmas. Happy new year!

      Delete
  9. Wow, I love your version of this top! I made this pattern in a solid navy before I started blogging and your print version is devine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That is one eye-catchingly gorgeous top, Peggy! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete