Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Cowl-Necked Top for Spring

Kwik Sew 3740 is a great pattern.  I've been using it for several years to make sleeveless shells--perfect for layering under jackets and cardigans.  This time, I decided to add the cowl-neck.

The fabric was purchased ages ago from Fabrix--way back when there was a shop in Sausalito/Marin City.  It is a waffle knit with tiny white daisies with green centers on a turquoise background.  The fabric has a lot of stretch and body, and I thought it would work well with the collar. 

If you're a little iffy about sewing with knits, this is a great pattern to try.  The cowl neck is easy to sew and attach to the top, and it's one less binding with topstitching to do. 
Although the pattern instructions say this can be completely constructed on the serger, I sewed all seams and then finished them with the serger.  The stitches disappeared into the fabric, and I don't think you can tell from these pix that the sleeve bindings and hem were coverstitched; in fact, the topstitching is difficult to see unless you get up close and personal with the top.

The cowl neck certainly gives this top a lot more pizzazz than the bound neckline.  I love the look of this top.  I don't know how many more I'll make with this collar because I suspect it might get a little warm around the neck on hot days. 
I'm entering this top in Faye's "Essential Top" sew along which is linked here.  

What's new with you?  Anything on your sewing table?  I don't know what my next project will be, but I have a coupon for Stonemountain and Daughter burning a hole in my pocket, so I'm headed to Berkeley with coupon and credit card in hand!

Until next time, happy sewing! ~ Peggy

29 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful colour on this top - your neckline looks like it fits much better than the one on the packet! Another pattern to add to my list ... J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that pattern, too. Your fabric is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I'm so glad I found this fabric. I've had it for ages, but I had packed it in a non-sewing storage box and only recently found it.

      Delete
  3. I am a big lover of shell like tops and yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much, Faye! And thank you for the essential top sew along! It was a lot of fun and spurred me to sew some tops!

      Delete
  4. What a great top! I have that pattern but have not tried the sleeveless version yet. I'm moving it way up on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, thanks for your comments. Yes, do give this pattern a try--I think you'll love it!

      Delete
  5. Your top is beautiful.. I love the fabric, and it looks so good on you. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty top! I would never have given this pattern a second look based on the envelope! but I love yours. The cowl neck is such a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Coco! P.S. It's a good thing you don't live in California, or I might try to steal that fabulous striped and tucked tunic you just made!

      Delete
  7. LOVE this on you! So cute...I wish I'd know about the top sew-along...I need tops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, the sew along definitely spurred me to finally make some tops!

      Delete
  8. I really love this top -- so flattering and comfortable-looking, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Angela! The top is super comfortable!

      Delete
  9. Your top, as usual, is beautifully made. It looks fresh and sunny helping me to believe that, despite the rain outside my window, even in the UK sunshine might be just around the corner! The pattern envelope is uninspiring but because of all of your lovely versions I have actually bought it. This is going to be my first serger project once I have mastered using my mother's ancient overlocker (thanks to Craftsy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for adding overlocker skills to your toolkit! (I just signed up for some classes on Craftsy, too!) I think you'll love this pattern, and I'm glad you're going to give it a try. Thank you so much for your kind comments!

      Delete
  10. It is really pretty. I love the fabric. The fit is great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great on you & is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your top is really pretty! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully done! I love the springy fabric you selected, the cowl neckline is a nice feature for this style.

    Christiana
    sewamusing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for your kind words, Christiana!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I looked forward to getting this.Feel amazing with leather jackets of cwmalls.com. The color is so much more rich in person than the photos even begin to show.

    ReplyDelete