I just finished the wearable muslin of New Look 6910. It fits well, and I like that the skirt isn't too full. This will be a great sundress for those hot summer days--and since it is in the 80s here today, it's perfect!
The front bodice has princess seams, and the back bodice has darts. I've always been a fan of princess seams, and I was looking for a fit-and-flare pattern with this feature because I have a hankering to make a dress inspired by this one that I pinned from eshakti.com:
Isn't this an adorable dress? I thought I'd make it from strips of poly/cotton broadcloth. I just need to decide what colors to use. I do love this pale blue/white version, too.
So, for this muslin, I used a 20-year old piece of fabric. Back in the 90s, I had purchased several bolts from Robert Kaufman to make girls' dresses; this muslin used all but a 1/2 yard from what was left from the bolt. I used another piece from this purchase to make this dress.
I made quite a few changes, including adding 1/8" to the length of the bodice. I added 1/4" total to the center back, and 1/8" to both sides. Next time, I'll probably add an additional 1/8" to the bodice length, but take off the 1/4" I added to the center back seam. The pattern includes an attached belt; I decided not to use it.
I also added 5" to the length of the skirt, made a 2" hem using the coverstitch. I don't think I've coverstitched a hem on a woven fabric before, but it worked out perfectly:
On a much more serious note, my thoughts and prayers are with the victims of the Boston Marathon tragedy. If only we could turn back time...
Here's wishing you peace--and happy sewing ~ Peggy