Sunday, April 21, 2013

New Look 6910 ~ A Summery Fit-and-Flare Dress

I just finished the wearable muslin of New Look 6910.  It fits well, and I like that the skirt isn't too full.  This will be a great sundress for those hot summer days--and since it is in the 80s here today, it's perfect!
The front bodice has princess seams, and the back bodice has darts.   I've always been a fan of princess seams, and I was looking for a fit-and-flare pattern with this feature because I have a hankering to make a dress inspired by this one that I pinned from eshakti.com:
Isn't this an adorable dress?  I thought I'd make it from strips of poly/cotton broadcloth.  I just need to decide what colors to use.  I do love this pale blue/white version, too.

So, for this muslin, I used a 20-year old piece of fabric.   Back in the 90s, I had purchased several bolts from Robert Kaufman to make girls' dresses; this muslin used all but a 1/2 yard from what was left from the bolt.   I used another piece from this purchase to make this dress.
For this dress, I used a size 12 rather than a 14 because it appeared there would be way too much ease in the 14.
I made quite a few changes, including adding 1/8" to the length of the bodice.  I added 1/4" total to the center back, and 1/8" to both sides.  Next time, I'll probably add an additional 1/8" to the bodice length, but take off the 1/4" I added to the center back seam.  The pattern includes an attached belt; I decided not to use it.
I also added 5" to the length of the skirt, made a 2" hem using the coverstitch.  I don't think I've coverstitched a hem on a woven fabric before, but it worked out perfectly:
The bodice is lined with the same fabric.  For the first time EVER, I machine sewed the lining in all the way around - including next to the zipper - except for the waist.  It turned out perfectly!  One thing that's not so "perfect" with this dress--well, it's a definite boo-boo--I somehow screwed up the pleats in front but didn't realize it until I was hand-sewing the lining at the waist seam.  So, I unpicked the stitching on the pertinent portion of the front, and gathered it instead.  That's why there are gathers in front and pleats in the back.  Blerg.  I can live with it on this version, and probably the non-sewers won't even notice ;)

On a much more serious note, my thoughts and prayers are with the victims of the Boston Marathon tragedy.  If only we could turn back time...

Here's wishing you peace--and happy sewing ~ Peggy

19 comments:

  1. Peggy your dress is absolutely beautiful! The gathers on the front and pleats in the back just make it your own personal design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh heh! Thank you, Faye, for giving my mistake a positive spin!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks perfect on you! Even though it's a muslin, it looks to be a pretty dress for spring. I can't wait to see your striped version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful summer dress. If it looked as good on me as it does on you, I'd make a dozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, shucks. Thanks so much for your kind comments, Carole.

      Delete
  5. Lovely dress. Great colours and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful dress, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice dress! You did a great job of fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dress is beautiful.. Love the fabric.. I think the gathers in the front
    and the pleats in the back..is just perfect.. Probably ,looks better than
    having all pleats.. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this dress - it fits you perfectly for hot summer days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could you perhaps provide a link to the pattern you used for this dress?

    ReplyDelete