Thursday, April 4, 2013

Pamela’s Patterns ~ Banded Front Cardigan



I’ve finished my second top (and third, including the shell) for Faye’s sew along.  The outfit shown is all me-made (except for the belt).  The skirt is McCall’s 3830 in black gabardine (haven’t blogged about it yet), the shell is Kwik Sew 3740, and the cardi is Pamela’s Patterns #111 Cool Cardigans - Banded Front. I picked up the cardigan pattern the last time I was at Stonemountain and Daughter, and I'm really glad I did!


I wasn’t sure about sizing on this pattern, so I decided to make a muslin.  The black and white print is a poly lycra knit from www.fabric.com that has been aging in my stash since September 2011.  This cardigan has great lines, and gives what Pamela calls, "essence of waist."  I shortened the sleeves to ¾ length and wound up taking several inches off the lower part of the sleeve seams to narrow them.  I used the sewing machine and serger on all seams, and hemmed the bottom and the sleeves with the coverstitch.



I added 5” to the length because I’m quite tall and I wanted the cardigan to completely cover my bottom.  It feels great on, and I got a number of compliments when I wore it yesterday.  Win!  This is really a very wearable muslin.  


Pamela’s Patterns has videos of some of the construction techniques used in the patterns.  I viewed this video about attaching the banded front piece.  


I love this cardigan and plan to make a lot more!

BTW, I’ve made the KS 3740 dozens of times.  This version is made from a remnant of fabric so old that I can’t remember where I got it.  The neck and armscyes are finished with self-binding and the coverstitch; the hem is also finished with the coverstitch.

I’m heading over to Faye’s blog now to look at all the tops made so far!  If you want to check it out, this link will take you to the collection of tops sewn for the sew along.

What are you working on now?  I’d love to see!!  In the meantime, happy sewing!
~ Peggy

13 comments:

  1. This is really a beautiful set Peggy. I'm counting the shell too. Thanks for helping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a beautiful outfit.. I love it. The cardigan is just beautiful. I love the
    fabric.. and using up your stash.. wonderful!!!
    I too, am doing Faye's Sew Along.. I haven't posted any yet.. But hope to get photos soon.
    Everyone, is doing such beautiful tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I can't wait to see your top. P.S. I am now following your blog!

      Delete
  3. Oh Peggy you got me with this one, I love this look! Of course the cardigan fabric is out of reach by now! This is a beautiful "me made" ensemble! Thanks for your very kind words on my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh! Thank you so much, Myra, for your kind words about this outfit. I'm pretty darned pleased with it :)

      Delete
  4. The whole outfit is lovely. The PP Banded Cardi is a favourite of mine too. It is a lovely pattern and you have done it justice. Beautiful fabric - lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, BeaJay, for your kind words! Isn't this a fabulous pattern?! I fell in love with it as soon as I put it on, and I can't wait to make more!!

      Delete
  5. This is very nice. I have this pattern but have not tried it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. You should definitely try this pattern; it's great!

      Delete
  6. Great set! The cardi print is beautiful.
    Love your blog, found it via Faye´s sew-a-long and I´m so happy to participate because I´m finding real great blogs like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Merche. Because of Faye's sew along, I've found your blog too! I absolutely adore the green top you made!

      Delete
  7. Love the fabric and the cardi. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete